Back by popular demand, the U12 Hurlers will be running another outing of their Munster League to close out the season. The legend of the 2018 version of the league (an U10 event) has grown over the last couple of years so we're hoping this years run will be just as entertaining.
An important goal of this league is player development so we are adding an Academy Team to the league to ensure all our players can compete in games that are appropriate to their current level of development as young hurlers.
The League rules and structures will be as follows:
- The league will take place over 3 nights in October (Friday 2nd, Sunday 4th and Friday 9th) in O'Garney Park
- Our 44 U12 players will be divided into two squads (Limerick and Cork) of 22 players (Limerick and Cork were the finalists of the 2018 League so we stuck with the names for nostalgic purposes!)
- Each squad will field two teams - a County team and an Academy team ie Limerick and Limerick Academy, Cork and Cork Academy
- On each night the County teams will face off against each other, and the Academy teams will face off against each other.
- Games will be 60 minutes long with a water break at the 15 minute mark in both halves.
- Teams will get 3 points for a win, and 1 point for a draw.
- Some players will be rotated between the Academy and County teams within their Squad as the league progresses
- The Squad (not team) with the most points at the end of the league will be the winners. So if Limerick Academy win 3 games and Limerick County lose their 3 games then the Limerick Squad will have 9 points in total at the end the league.
- Each Squad will have 2 captains (a County captain and an Academy captain) and the joint captains of the winning squad will be presented with the Johnny Flynn Memorial Cup.
- Captains will be picked by the coaches prior the last game based on attitude, performance, attendance etc in the previous games
- Throughout the League we will also be keeping a tally of the number of catches players make with a prize for the player with the most (a valid catch being for a ball that has travelled more than 30 meters).
- In the case where the league ends in a draw (both squads finish on the same points), the squad with the most catches will be the winners. If it is still a tie at that point the winner will be decided on score difference
Wall Ball Competition
We will also be running a Wall Ball Competition during the month of October - more details to follow
Despite all the drawbacks of 2020 we have managed to fit a lot into our shortened season - this is largely thanks to the commitment and enthusiasm our squad have shown since we resumed training in July. We hope to see this continued through the next few weeks as we try to finish the season off on a high.